Wednesday, November 8, 2017

CVC Words; Inspired by Halloween!

November 2, 2017
Integrated CVC Words; Inspired by Halloween

            Todays lesson was integrating CVC words with Dance; shapes and level changes. The students learned four CVC words Inspired by Halloween; Cat, Hat, Bat and Rat, with an emphasis on the last letter/sound of the word, A and T. This lesson is created to help the students understand words are made with multiple sounds and when sounded out correctly, it makes a word. By the end of the lesson, kindergartners will be able to demonstrate movement through level changes; Low, Medium and High, and multiple shapes based off of the four CVC words and their syllables and sounds.
            To begin, I had the students sit on the class rug and we reviewed what we did last week. Now… I actually started this lesson last week, but because the kids were a little out of control and not listening very well, we didn’t have a chance to finish or even get to the point of the lesson. Therefore, I talked with Heather and we decided that we could finish the lesson this time. Last week, I started out with them creating multiple shapes throughout the space. Once they found their own shapes, we added level changes and did a certain set of shapes on all 3 levels. But, again, because they were acting out of hand, that’s as far as we got in the lesson and we ended there. So, today, instead of taking the time to review shapes through physical movement, we talked about what we did, reviewed the words; Cat, Hat, Bat and Rat then jumped right into moving through the space.
As we began dancing, I reminded the students that “shapes are frozen… you can make whatever shape you’d like but remember that once you’re there, try not to move. Be as solid as a statue.” I showed them how we were then going to combined our shapes with the words we just went over. CVC words have three letters and there are three main levels we move throughout space; low, medium and high. To integrate dance with CVC words, I split the three letter words into their individual letters, which make up the word and incorporated a level for each letter. For example, the word Cat, C-A-T, we divide the word into 3 levels, making a shape for each letter, on each level. I demonstrated this by showing different shapes for each letter, starting with C on a low level, A medium level and T as high as can be. Now, this movement was very choppy, as I was trying to help the students see a very clear shape and level with each letter. Now it was the students turn to try! After a few times of practice and exploring each word, I taught them how to smooth the syllables of the word, which then smooths the shapes to move from a low to high levels creating beautiful flowing movement patterns. As we practiced this, I noticed how the dancers copied me, most of the time, and it was difficult for them to branch out into their own exploration. I feel this is a common challenge we see with K-2nd grades. 
So, my question is… are they really learning or are they just coping me and having a good time? BUT, before and after each lesson I do spend time reviewing what we either did last time or that day and I see how most of them are actually retaining the information and it’s amazing to me to see how this is possible for such a young age. I feel most of the time, we think, eh they aren’t really learning or listening to anything I’m saying… but in reality, you are their biggest example and they are watching you even when you don’t think they are. I see how this can be a challenge with teaching… but also a blessing. Today, I found it challenging as we created a sequence or an order with the words and practiced with the drum. To begin, we started in a shape of the dancers choice, on whatever level they desired. In between each word, we skipped through the space. I felt this kept it nice and simple so the dancers could really focus on the movements of shapes and levels instead of bringing in too many elements of dance.
To finish off, we repeated the sequence with music, again skipping in-between each word and beginning and ending in a shape. I loved watching the dancers and how they always enjoy having music. It must be a thing for these little bodies that gets them going! Which is hard as a teacher… but I’ve seen how a few of them are waiting and are so focused on when the music comes in they forget to focus in the moment. Over all I felt the lesson went well and we had closure and I got to review with them. Last lesson didn’t have an end… and I felt how weird and unfinished that felt. So I’m really glad we got to finish.
I wasn’t expecting Chris, my mentor, to come today, but he did and it was great! It’s always great to have him come and get feedback from such a master! While talking with him, I learned how my biggest weakness is classroom management; specifically being stern and correcting bad behavior. I’m not horrible… but there is always room to grow with classroom management. I find it hard to be mean or stern! As interesting as that is… I find myself enjoying and having too much fun and laughing with them, when they don’t follow rules rather than sticking to my guns and following through. When I do this, I see how they continue to laugh and soon it becomes more like a game, rather than really listening and following the rules. It’s hard for me to give them a strong warning or “put them in time out”. I struggle with making people feel bad or hurting their feelings and these cute little bodies are so precious! Sometimes they will cry at anything though. Anyway, I see how I could improve in this area and it’s going to put me out of my comfort zone for sure, but it will help me become a better teacher.


Overall, I’ve truly loved my time teaching this cute class. I have seen my teaching improve and tried as I’ve problem solved, taught principles and helped these little bodies enjoy moving through space as well as helping them intellectually, mentally and spiritually. I’ve seen how they have improved and continue to surprise me with their knowledge and abilities to do the challenges I’ve given them. They really are so smart and have so much potential and sometimes I think we miss helping them reach their potential because we have to “get through the material” rather than really understand where they are coming from and where they can go! I’ve seen this experience as a blessing and such a great tool for my future teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I learned from Kindergarteners!

December 4, 2017 What I learned from Kindergarteners! The BYU Arts Bridge program has been a wonderful experience for me to participate...