Tuesday, December 5, 2017

What I learned from Kindergarteners!

December 4, 2017
What I learned from Kindergarteners!
The BYU Arts Bridge program has been a wonderful experience for me to participate in this past Fall Semester. I’ve learned so many principles, I’d like to keep in mind as I continue my journey to becoming a great teacher. I know I will never reach perfection, but one thing is true, “I can be perfect in trying.” With that being said, here are a few things I’ve learned throughout this experience.
1.    Kindergarteners are fun, but is a challenging age to teach. Never underestimate their power of creativity… no matter what age.
2.    Integrated lessons are hard to plan and teach. Creating lessons TAKE TIME!! But, if you are prepared you will succeed.
3.    Classroom management skills; the do’s and don’ts. Honestly, I’m not sure there is a solid list of things you should or should not do when managing a class. Yes, there are great ideas of how to manage a class and different ques or rules you can implement from other teachers, but through this experience, I’ve learned every class is different and management depends on the students and classroom setting.
4.    Listen to your mentors! Even if you feel you’ve become the best teacher and you know your material extremely well, there is always room for improvement!
5.    Embrace every moment! The moments of inspiration and excitement come and go. Enjoy the hard times and the good times, for it is during these times when we learn and grow the most.

Overall, being a part of this program has helped me to further my education and find ways I can improve; not just in becoming a good teacher, but as a friend, mentor, leader and even a wife. I’ve learned skills that can be applied to every aspect of my life including; Communication; working with my teacher and mentor. Adaptability; when a lesson may not be heading the direction as planned, how can I handle the change. Organization skills; through creating lesson plans and the ability to see them through. Handling critiques and comments; ability to use my mentors comments to strengthen my teaching. Confidence; being able to create and teach what I know with confidence and ease. I’m so thankful for this chance I’ve had to learn, grow and become a better teacher and to further my education. For me, the BYU Art’s Bridge program was wonderful and a great success. Thank you, to my wonderful Mentor, Chris Roberts and Teacher, Heather Talbot and all those who have helped me along the way.  

1 comment:

  1. I love this summary of your experience. The skills that you learned and experiences you had, have been wonderful to read about on your blog. I have loved following along on your Arts Bridge journey. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

What I learned from Kindergarteners!

December 4, 2017 What I learned from Kindergarteners! The BYU Arts Bridge program has been a wonderful experience for me to participate...