November 30, 2017
The Brain Dance
For my very last lesson, teaching experience with the Arts
Bridge program, I decided to leave my cute kindergarten class with teaching
them the “Brain Dance”. The Brain Dance was created by Anne Green Gilbert to
help students connect their brain or “wake up the brain” through a series of
movement exercises/patterns that healthy human beings naturally move through,
to help them with daily life. It has been said “moving through these patterns
at any age, daily or weekly while sitting or standing, has been found to be
beneficial in reorganizing our central nervous system… repeating these patterns
over time may help us fill in any missing gaps in our neurological system due
to birth trauma, illness, environment, head injury or even not enough floor
time as a baby.” As you can see, as teachers, we should be trying to incorporate
these simple movements into our teaching to best help the students succeed.

There are eight exercises or principles used to for the Brain
Dance which include; Breath, Tactile, Core-Distal, Head-Tail, Upper Lower, Body
Half, Cross Lateral and Vestibular. As I pondered and prepared for this lesson,
I thought it would be really neat to see how the kindergarteners react to these
specific exercises and I hope they can remember them and use them in the
future. It has also been said that “the Brain Dance may be used as a warm-up
for any physical or cognitive activity; before tests, performances and
presentations; after sitting for long periods of times; as a break during
computer work and TV watching; and to increase energy and reduce stress. It is
a centering body/brain movement tool for brain reorganization, oxygenation, and
recuperation. The Brain Dance prepares us for learning and helps us with
appropriate behavior and social skills.” For more info on the Brain Dance,
please visit https://www.creativedance.org/about/braindance/.
This website does a great job explaining what the Brain Dance is and how it is beneficial
for our students.
To begin the lesson, I reminded the dancers our rules and how if
we want to have fun, we need to be great listeners! After I knew they were all
ready, I had the dancers move out into the space and stand tall and frozen like
a statue/solider. One by one, beginning with Breath and ending with Vestibular,
I lead the dancers through the eight principles of the Brain Dance. They did
such a wonderful job listening and following instructions! Once they were familiar
with each one, I lead them through all eight again, but this times using the
drum going through each exercise for 2 sets of 8. I noticed how the students
enjoyed Vestibular, as they got to move through the space by spinning and then
of course ending with a few bounces. On the other hand, I saw how Body Half and
Cross Lateral were challenging for the students due to those two exercises
being stationary rather than traveling through the space.
Due to time, we only had a chance to go through all eight with
music once. As I lead them through I enjoyed watching those students who got
into the movement and had a fun time exploring multiple ways they could
complete each principle. I wish I could have let them explore a little more and
I would have invited them to pick their favorite or maybe even put a sequence
together of their own! I wonder what they would have done to complete the task
at hand. If I would have had one more lesson this next week, I would have gone
back and reviewed then taken the chance to build off these eight principles and
maybe we could have created a dance! But, I guess I can keep these thoughts in
mind for the next time I teach the Brain Dance.
Overall, I feel the Brain Dance can be taught to any age group.
If the teacher does a good job catering the movement to that age group, this
lesson could be very successful! I loved using this lesson for my last time
with these cute kids! I felt like it gave them a great sense of exercise they
can do to help with their daily lives, as well as ending on a positive dance
note. I really hope these kids enjoyed dancing with me as I’ve enjoyed dancing
and teaching them. As I left, I had a handful of kids jump up and give me hugs
goodbye and I could tell they enjoyed their dance lessons. Of course, their
cute love and support made me feel great and now I have a sense of satisfactory
as I’ve completed this challenging opportunity to be a part of this amazing
program. I’ve really enjoyed my time teaching and being able to learn and
hopefully I can remember this experience forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment